Young volunteers from Scottish Sports Futures’ (SSF) Active East programme ran their own Easter – themed family fun day on Saturday 7 April 2018 at Crownpoint Sports Centre in the East End of Glasgow.
Over 100 young people and their families attended the event which was funded by the Create18 project. The event was the brainchild of ten Active Champions – young volunteers aged between 14 and 25, who completed an individualised programme of awards and training in sport, physical activity and volunteering.
The Create18 Fund is powered by Young Scot, on behalf of EventScotland, and provides young people in Scotland aged 8 – 26 with the opportunity to celebrate and engage in the Year of Young People 2018 by staging a unique event that will showcase their talents and abilities in their local community. After making it through the two rounds of the funding process, the Active Champions were awarded funding to put on their Easter themed event.
Active Champion Holly Halferty said:
“We have worked really hard to get this event organised and have loved being able to completely design and manage the project. We were delighted with the support we received and to see so many young people come along as Active East-ER has been created by young people for young people!”
Alistair Neil, Youth Development Coordinator for Active East, said:
“It has been amazing to see the Active Champions really take the lead on this project. They really pushed for the funding and designed the day around what young people love to do. HAVE FUN! The Year of Young People really has given them the opportunity to take the lead and create a fun event for other young people in their local area..”
Active East is an exciting programme which aims to create a legacy from the 2014 Commonwealth Games for young people in the East of Glasgow by increasing levels of physical activity and building skills through volunteering.
For more information on and all Scottish Sports Futures activity please visit our website www.scottishsportsfutures.org.uk.
Notes for Editors:
- Scottish Sports Futures (SSF) is a Glasgow based Charity delivering Education through Sport programmes to young people nationwide with a particular focus on those at risk and suffering disadvantage.
- Scottish Sports Futures programmes use the power of sport to inspire young people to make positive lifestyle choices.
- SSF’s portfolio of programmes support young people from early interventions right through to training and employment. Each programme is focused at a different stage of youngsters’ development and targeted at communities that are vulnerable or at-risk.
- SSF programmes have 10,000+ young people engaged annually
- SSF have over 200 volunteers supporting activity
- Delivery Programmes: Active East, Shell Twilight Basketball, Jump2it, Education Through Cashback, Healthy Powerful Communities – MEND.
Kirsty McNab Head of Operations firstname.lastname@example.org call: 0141 218 4640/07758884691
Rohanna Irvine Active East Programme Manager email@example.com call: 0141 218 4640
For more information see website: www.scottishsportsfutures.org.uk